BAKING WITH MRS BOUW: FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT!
HOW TO CREATE A SHOWSTOPPER CAKE!
Hello! I'm super excited to share the photos from Anya and Allegra's joint party held over the weekend. For a while there, I wasn't sure if we would be throwing a party this year but I knew that if we did, I had already found my source of inspiration! Whether it be putting together an outfit, styling a room or creating a party theme, my inspiration usually stems from a pattern or print that catches my eye. And in this case it was the gorgeous 'Trendy Trim' invitations from Tiny Prints! You probably already know by now that I love a bit of pattern clashing, so when I stumbled on the gorgeous floral and black and white striped invites months ago on Instagram, I was itching at the chance to use them! Whilst they are not your typical themed children's invites, they still sum up my girls perfectly... feminine, striking, fun, bold and beautiful. Throw in some gold glitter and you have one beautiful party palette! And given it is also fall here in the US, I thought they suited the season well too.
So, using the invitation as my source of inspiration, the rest of the details came pretty easily. My trusty hot glue gun got a work out again this year (still the best $7 I have ever spent) putting together some of the finer details such as the party favours, handmade bunting, decorated mini milk bottles and gold glitter cutlery. And the wonderful Michelle from Custom Icing was amazing again this year helping my vision for the cake come to life! I wanted to incorporate the same patterns from the invite on the cake and Michelle was very patient whilst I threw her a handful of questions so I could be certain all of my measurements etc. were correct. I was still so in love with the mini sugar cookies I made for the girls' party last year I decided to make them again and I knew the floral print would look just darling on them! I was so happy with how both the cake and cookies turned out and both were such a striking feature yet easy to achieve!
It was a relatively small gathering this year so we kept everything else pretty simple and I outsourced most of the savoury food. We ordered fresh, party sized Jimmy Johns (which is Allegra's favourite) along with Pizza from our local Pizzeria. Of course the weather was crumby again and it was a super dark, wet and gloomy day which made taking photos almost impossible (at least we were inside!). Not to mention despite charging and testing my SLR earlier in the week, it was bringing up a lens error on the day (Arrghh) so I reverted to my good ol' iphone for photos! The party was a success (I think?!) and the girls had an absolute ball which is the main thing. Enough rambling from me, I'll let the photos tell the story :)
- 'Trendy Trim' Invitations from Tiny Prints
- 'So Much love- Cute Crafty Hearts' gift stickers also from Tiny Prints
- Edible icing (used cake and cookies) from Custom Icing
- Giant paper flower for cake handmade by me
- Coral Noodle Boxes from Paper Mart
- Black and white striped tags for favour boxes I created myself (and then placed gift stickers on top).
- Paper straws and plain wooden cutlery from Creative Juice Cafe (I adhered gold glitter paper to the spoons myself).
- Coral cupcake wrapper from Sew Pretty in Vermont
- Charcoal cupcake wrappers from Simply Wrappers
- Glitter gold cupcake wrappers from We Like Parties
- Gold spotted cupcake cases (used for popcorn) from Petite Party Studio
- Custom made tutus with matching top from Strawberrie Rose
- Mini glass milk bottles from Sweet Style
- Paper Bunting made by me using left over invitations and paper from Paper source
- Glass drink dispenser from Target
- Cake, cupcakes, cookies and Rocky Road made by me.
I still can't quite believe that I now have a two year old and a four year old!
This Mumma is party pooped... until next year ;)